Our intensive 7-Day Surgical Implant Externship was created in 2009 with two reasons in mind:
1. Educational goal: We wanted to bridge the gap between theory and clinical reality. Recognizing that conventional didactic implant courses teach essentials of Oral implantology but at the same time create a void that can only be filled by having licensed dentists learn surgical protocols by operating on patients under direct supervision of board certified Oral maxillofacial surgeons, board certified periodontist and GP’s with Masters in Oral Implantology from different European Universities.
2. Social benefits: Through this learning experience we provide benefits to the underprivileged population in Latin American countries. These individuals earn less than $200 a month and could never afford implant dentistry.
LIT subsides them by performing FREE surgical procedures (extractions, bone grafting, PRF and implant placement) and having them pay the local laboratory
Upon completion of the 7 Day training attendants will:
- Understand basic principle on bone biology, Dr. Misch’s bone classification according to bone density and alveolar ridge atrophic classification.
- Learn sound prosthetic principle to be used as the base for case planning. This includes mounting models, diagnostic wax-up and surgical guides.
- Know how to use Dr. Anitra’s biological drilling protocol used to preserve bone minerals and as a safety net to prevent perforation.
- Review head & neck anatomy as it pertains to implant surgery outlining important anatomical structures.
- Understand surgical safety zones and how to avoid surgical errors.
- Know how to manage soft tissue: flap designs, incision techniques and suturing principles.
- Compare advantages and disadvantages of screw retained vs cemented restorations on single crowns, partial bridges and full arch prosthesis.
- Understand drilling, spacing, angulation and insertion protocols based on “positioning tools”, torque and RPM.
- Learn spacing rules for single and multiple implant placement in partially edentulous patients.
- Know how to correct spacing problems, avoid perforations of buccal wall and of adjacent natural dentition.
- Understand prosthetic protocols related to biomechanical distribution of forces and A-P spread for full arch prosthetics: free standing bars, hybrids vs cemented.
- Know when to refer case to specialists and comply with surgical standard of care.
- Learn when to pre-medicate and what to prescribe post surgery.
- Know how to present power point or keynote presentations for the purpose of ICOI/AAIP credentials.
- Understand 10 key principles used to evaluate and select implant systems.
- Know how to present treatment plans based on prosthetic principles.
- Bone biology
- Head/Neck anatomy
- Surgical safety zones
- Bone density classification
- Atrophic ridges classification
- Prosthetic planning
- Drilling and insertion protocols
- Standard of care
- Licensed dentists will perform surgeries under direct supervision of board certified specialists (oral maxillofacial & periodontist) and implant masters
LIVE SURGERIES & RESTORATIONS ON PATIENTS
- Each doctor will operate according to his/her surgical level of experience and formal training.
- Each surgery is allocated 3 hours as following:
- 1. 30 minutes for case planning by faculty
- 2. 30 minutes flap design and reflection
- 3. 60 minutes for drilling & implant placement
- 4. 30 minutes for flap closure & post-op instructions
- 5. 30 minutes for trying abutments & taking impressions
- The AAIP and the ICOI requires that Dr. Mongalo and his faculty review all the clinical cases performed by the attending dentists. Doctors will present cases and answer questions in the form of oral exam.
- Participants must become AAIP & ICOI members.
- Course does not include Fellowship fees.
Courses are taught in English held in the Dominican Republic Includes:
- 7 nights at the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville
- Implants and bio materials used on patients
- Loaner motors, surgical kits & instruments
- 6 patients reserved for each doctor according to his/her level
- Direct supervision by USA board certified Oral Maxillofacial surgeons in GP’s Implant Masters
- 84 AGD PACE credit hours
- Course fulfills Fellowship requirements for ICOI
- Course fulfills Fellowship requirements for American Academy of Implant Prosthodontics
- Dr. Mongalo surgical manual
- Usage of taper, minis, ultra wide and sinus lift kits
- Breakfast, lunches & ground transportation
Next Implant Course
November 9-15, 2014
USA Dentist trained in 7 years
CE PACE Credit hours awarded
Dr. VIRGIL MONGALO
Clinical Director of Live Implant Courses
Dr. HENRY FERGUSSON
Board certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Dr. SOLON KAO
Board certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Dr. TIMOTHY MILLER
Board Certified Periodontist
Dr. JAE CHANG
Master in Oral Implantology
Dr. MARK BARR
Board certified Endodontist
Dr. JOSE LUIS MONGALO
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Learn about our Live Implant Course
Live implant training courses were created to bridge the clinical gap between theory and reality by elevating the clinicians surgical skills and their clinical confidence. This is achieved by allowing the participants to operate on patients under direct supervision of USA accredited oral and maxillofacial surgeons. This proven teaching methods has become Dr. Mongalo’s trademark for Live Implant Courses. Having conducted over 40 consecutive sold out courses since 2008, this 7 day course is recognized world wide as a premier implant training course.
Patient selection and type of surgical cases
A three page questionnaire consisting of 30 questions and background information will be mailed to all attending dentists to allow Dr. Mongalo to classify each doctor as Novice, Intermediate or Advanced. Once this is done, cases will be assigned to match each doctor’s level of surgical experience and formal training. Every attempt will be made to select patients that will fulfill everyone’s educational goals but it is important to remember that we are working on human beings and Dr. Mongalo must maintain professional responsibility and therefore doctors will only be assigned cases that are within their scope of training.
Basic surgical cases
Anterior single implant
Ultra wide implants
Semi complex cases:
Intracrestal sinus elevation
Fully edentulous patients
Lateral window sinus lift
Teeth in one day
I have been performing implant treatment for over 15 years. I would have loved to have come across this live training program when I first started.Dr. JD Murray (Atlanta, GA)
Definitely an eye-opening experience ! Learned a lot. I will come back for more training. Very thankful to have worked with great doctors. Thank YouBinita Patel (Orlando, Florida)